Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

I am not much of a cinnamon roll fan. I know, I know. Just anything cinnamon-ish, like french toast or cinnamon raisin bagels, or anything with that smell and taste, no thanks. But if it is just the right kind of cinnamon roll, I can handle it. And these cinnamon rolls, I can more than handle!! Anything pumpkin is right down my alley!!
My friend Emily (who I have mentioned before) made these last year around Fall time, and I fell in love with them. She made them during one of our playdates, and I was drooling over them. Then we went over their house for Halloween, and after our kids went trick-or-treating, we came back to their house for chili and these cinnamon rolls. Mmmmm. So good!
So I have been wanting to make these bad boys, but I have really been intimidated by making things with yeast. I have only made recipes with yeast a few times, and I didn't want to spend the time making them and then have them not turn out. But Emily just said, "it's just warm water and yeast. That's it. It's not hard." She kept giving me these little pep talks about my fear of cooking with yeast, and finally, I tried these cinnamon rolls! And I'm so glad I did!
They turned out so good, flavorful, and I didn't have any problems with the yeast, or with the rolls rising or anything. The only problem I had was knowing when they were done. The first batch were a little undercooked in the middle part of the pan, and my second pan were a little overcooked. But they were still really good, I just know what to do for next time, and what to watch for.
So if you need a new, tasty recipe for a cinnamon roll, this is one to try!! Also, they freeze well, so you can make some, freeze some, and then have some to pull out later so they don't go bad on your counter!! We just finished the last ones in the freezer! Maddy has asked, "is it cinnamon roll morning?" since I started planning out what we will have for breakfast on what days. Since the cinnamon rolls are gone now, I might have to make some more and actually make it a "day" for breakfasts!!!
Here's the recipe, taken from my friend, Emily, taken from Allrecipes.com!! Enjoy!!

Pretty Pumpkin Cinnamon Buns (Taste of Home)
Allrecipes.com

Cook Time: 350 degrees for 22 min.

INGREDIENTS:
2 T. active Dry Yeast
1/2 cup warm Water
4 Eggs
1 cup Shortening
1 cup Canned Pumpkin
1 cup warm Milk
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup packed Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
1/3 cup Instant Butterscotch Pudding Mix
1 tsp. Salt
7-8 cups Flour
Filling:
1/4 cup Butter melted
1 cup packed Brown Sugar
2 tsp. ground Cinnamon
Icing: (make sure this is warm when you drizzle over the top, or else it won't really pour well!)
3 T. water
2 T. Butter, softened
1 tsp. Cinnamon
2 cups Powdered Sugar
1 1/2 tsp. Vanilla Extract

DIRECTIONS:
1. In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add eggs, shortening, pumpkin, milk, sugars, pudding mixes, salt and 6 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough, dough will be sticky.
2. Turn onto a flour surface and knead until smooth and elastic about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 1 hour).
3. Punch dough down, divide in half. Roll each portion into 12x8 rectangle, brush with butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon, and sprinkle over dough within 1/2 inch of edges.
4. Roll up jelly roll style starting with the long side. Pinch seems to seal and cut into 12 slices. Place cut side down into 2 greased 9x13 inch pans. Cover and let rise until doubled (about 30 minutes).
5. Bake at 350 for 22-28 minutes or until golden brown. In a small mixing bowl combine water, butter, and cinnamon. Add powdered sugar and vanilla, beat until smooth. Spread over the buns and serve warm.

------------------------------------------------------------


2 comments:

  1. Hey Stephanie! These rolls look DELISH! I need to make cinnamon rolls soon. :)

    I have a question for ya...when you make PW's pecan pie, did you use light or dark corn syrup? I'm not sure which to use...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't remember exactly, I want to say light corn syrup...but I'm not for sure.

    ReplyDelete