Monday, August 20, 2012

Classical Conversations Cycle 1 Week 1


 These Classical Conversations Posts will be more for myself to chronicle my way through tutoring this year, for other parents who are using CC, and for the parents of the kids I will be tutoring this year. But anyone who is homeschooling, interested in finding out more about CC, or is curious about a CC lesson plan is welcome to take a peak too!
So, for each week, I, as the tutor, am presenting the new information (new grammar) in a fun, interactive way so that the kids start to memorize it, and then it's the kid's parent's job to drill that information and help their kids memorize it during the week. So, these blog posts will be very helpful for my CC parents so they know how I am presenting the information. That way, if they weren't present in class, they can look here and possibly repeat some of the things their kids did in class.

I am going to try to present the subjects in the same order every week, unless there is some reason we need to swap some subjects. Here is what I have planned for the first week:

Opening: Introductions, Class Rules, Reward Charts


Timeline: Teach hand motions
History Sentence: Use the song, hand motions from Choosing Today.
Geography: Find the locations using a dinosaur/fish of choice, trace, find on the big world map
English: Say definition, sing/song, game with sing/song
Latin: Tug of Words, divide class into 2 groups, one side says first word, other side says the other word, i.e. Nominative (one side)-Subject (other side.)
Science: Use visual chart, say 5 classifications, sing/song, loudest to softest with kids echoing each
Math: Count by 1's and 2's together, sit in a circle and pass a bean bag while saying numbers together
Review: Kids draw subjects out of a hat to review

If anyone has any questions about this lesson plan, just leave a comment in the comments section below! I can't believe CC starts tomorrow morning! I better go get some sleep!

5 comments:

  1. So glad you linked this up! I'm a first year tutor and love the ideas you gave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad!! I'm a first year tutor as well, so I'm just figuring things out myself!

      Delete
  2. How did your first week go!? I am a first year tutor and am burnt out already! There was so much to prepare for in addition to keeping active for 3 hours! Can you explain the fish/dinosaur you used for your map? Thank you for your inspiring blog, I REALLY appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I totally know what you mean. So far, I have been up late every Monday night before CC and am up really early preparing, and then have 3 kids to get out the door with me by 740! The whole morning totally wears me out for the rest of the day! I didn't expect it to be so taxing or take so much out of me! I'm still enjoying it though, and have prepared a schedule to prepare each night during the week so I don't save it all for the last few nights. I need more sleep before class! Email me at steph4given@yahoo.com if you want to chat some more! I would love to hear about your first week too!

      Delete
    2. Oh, the fish and dinosaur. I just purchased some plastic fish and dinosaur from the dollar store, and as we are finding our places on the map, they put their fish/dinosaur on them. Kind of like they are taking a trip to those places. It's just fun for them.

      Delete