Friday, October 15, 2010

Curried Shrimp Noodles with Basil

I have a family full of shrimp lovers. Tad and Maddy would eat shrimp for every meal if it was available. This is yet another Weight Watcher's meal that is a-maz-ing!!! I always write in my cookbook commenting on each meal I make, if we liked it, and any notes I need to make (changes, things that worked well with the meal, things I didn't like), and this meal says, "Divine!!" It is so good, and if you're a fan of coconut milk and shrimp and basil, then this combination is for you!! I always feel like a saleswoman trying to sell the new meal I'm about to blog about. Like I'm gonna make money off of it! But I'm not. I just want you to enjoy this meal as much as we do!! It's a new staple!!

Curried Shrimp Noodles with Basil
From Pantry to Plate: Easy Meals from Foods You Keep on Hand
Weight Watchers

3/4 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 teaspoons bottled Thai green curry paste (I'm sure red would work too. You can find this in the ethnic section of the grocery store, of course, the Thai section!!)
6 ounces Chinese wheat noodles or spaghetti
2 teaspoons peanut or canola oil
1 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup light (reduced-fat) coconut milk
1/2 cup loosely packed Thai or regular basil leaves

1. Put the shrimp and curry paste in ziploc bag. Squeeze our the air and seal the bag; turn to coat the shrimp and refrigerate for 20 minutes or up to 1 hour.
2. Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain.
3. Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and stir-fry until golden brown, 4-5 minutes. Add the shrimp and salt; stir-fry until the shrimp are just pink, 2-3 minutes.
4. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the coconut milk. Simmer until slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add the noodles and cook until heated through. Remove from the heat and stir in the basil.

Points value: 5 pts. for 1 1/2 cups.
Note: The heat is adjusted according to how much curry paste you add. If you want less heat, lessen the amount, or if you want more, add more. Just be careful and add a little at a time so you don't make it too spicy for your family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment