Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Pig Cake

Pig cake. Not exactly the kind of title that makes you want to run to the grocery store to buy the ingredients. But, after all, it is Pioneer Woman. And after all, when you look at her pictures of this cake, and making it step by step, you would want to make it. So, if you want to skip my amateur pictures of this cake, and my amateur cooking skills as I made this cake, then you can just click here for the professional version. But if you'd like to stick with me, cuz ya like me, or because ya like bad pictures, then I'd welcome your company!!
This is the first official recipe I tried on the Davis family. A little background. 6 kids living at home, ranging from 18 to 7. Lots of different opinions. And they will share them. I decided to make little comment cards to get their opinions. That was hilarious. More later.

I'm still not sure why this is called Pig Cake. I guarantee you there is nothing in it that even resembles a pig. My best guess is that you'll end up looking like a pig if you eat too much of this cake. And you will eat too much, that's just for sure, unless you make this for a crowd of say, 12 people, like I did. Then you won't get too much. Just sayin'.
So here, I will give the basic recipe, but again, if you want the tried and true recipe, in true printable form, then go to Pioneer Woman's link to this cake, and you can just print it off!!

Pig Cake

to Make the Cake
1 box yellow cake mix (18.25 oz)
1 stick of Margarine (softened)
1 can Mandarin Oranges (14 oz can), drained, 1/2 cup juice reserved
4 whole eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract

to Make the Frosting

1 pkg. vanilla instant pudding mix(4 oz)
1 can (20 oz) crushed pineapple, juice reserved
1/2 cup powdered sugar
4 oz. frozen fluid whipped topping (like Cool Whip)(I just thawed regular cool whip)
Extra Mandarin Orange slices, for topping

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. To make the cake, combine the cake mix, margarine, 1/2 cup of juice from the mandarin oranges, eggs, and vanilla. Beat for 4 minutes on medium-high. Add drained oranges and beat until pieces are broken and small. Pour batter into greased and floured 13 by 9 pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until golden brown and set. Remove from oven and cool completely.
Once cake is cool, blend juice from drained pineapples with the vanilla pudding mix. Add powdered sugar and mix, then mix in whipped topping. Stir in drained pineapple. Spread on cooled cake and put in refrigerator several hours before serving. Top each slice with a mandarin orange slice if desired.


One of the comments I got a lot is that the frosting was a weird consistency. Also, make sure you like mandarin oranges and pineapple before you make this. It is fruity-tasting so keep that in mind!! The frosting will be a little chunky with the pineapple chunks in it, but it is good, let me tell you. This cake didn't last long in this house!!
Yummy!
These were the plated cakes with a comment card to boot. Each person was suppose to fill one out so I could figure out the crowd feel for the cake. The 13 year old boy, Joel, just turned around and said, "2 on the frosting, 7 on the cake." He didn't like pineapple but couldn't figure out why he didn't like the frosting. One comment card said, "best cake I've had in 2 months." There were mixed reviews, but I've found in a big family, that will almost always happen. To some extent. I'll have to learn how to cook for a big family!!!
Enjoy making this dessert! It's fruity, reminiscent of spring, and super moist!! Have fun making it!

No comments:

Post a Comment