Saturday, January 22, 2011

Am I who I want my kids to be??


One of my favorite blogs, Inspiredtoaction.com, had a blog post entitled "12 words on selecting goals for the new year."
Need goals?

Imagine who you want your kids to become.

Be that.


This was the whole post. Few words. Lots to think about.

There are so many dreams we have for our kids. So many things we want for them that we didn't have. We want them to be the people we weren't. The person we wish we could be. Well why not put our effort into becoming that person instead of trying to get our kids to be that?? They watch our every action. Our every reaction. The copy us, mimic us. Even as teenagers, they are people who have learned to deal with life from us. Scary thought?? Not if we are putting God in the center of our lives and allowing His Spirit to transform us into being more holy. People who love more. Have more grace. Have become more humble.

Do we speak lovingly to our kids, or do we just order them around?

Have we cultivated a relationship with our kids, or are we more interested in making sure they obey a strict list of rules we have for them?

Do our kids see us putting others first and sacrificing our needs/wants for the good of others?

Do our kids see us on our knees, pursuing God in prayer and doing what He is asking us to do??

I want my children to love God with all their heart. To be kids and adults who want to do what God wants them to do. People who aren't influenced by the world, but are motivated by God's love. There are so many things that I'm not, that I want my kids to be. So a good investment of my time would be to write a list of who I want my kids to be, and then put those things on my to-do list. To pray over them and actively pursue becoming that kind of person for my children to model. With God's help, I think we can be the godly example that they can look up to!!



2 comments:

  1. I love love LOVE this post! So much truth here. Thanks for sharing this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph, that really is such an important goal! Something I can start striving towards now, even before I even have kids!

    ReplyDelete