Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Classic Cheese Souffle

This was the first souffle I have ever cooked, and ever eaten!! I keep hearing about this amazing thing called the souffle, especially in magazines, cookbooks, and the Food Network! Finally, when I ran across it in my Good Housekeeping cookbook (which has been like my cooking bible lately!) that Tad got me for Christmas, I decided I had to make it. So, what I will do is give the exact recipe from my cookbook, and then give you a little review! So, here we go!

Classic Cheese Souffle

The All New Good Housekeeping Cook Book


2 Tbs. plain dried bread crumbs or freshly grated Parmesan cheese

4 Tbs. butter or margarine
1/4 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk, warmed
8 ounces sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (2 cups)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne)
5 large eggs, separated
1 large egg white

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease 2 quart souffle dish; sprinkle evenly with bread crumbs.
2. Prepare cheese sauce: In heavy 2 quart saucepan, melt butter over low heat. Add flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. With wire whisk, gradually whisk in warm milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly with wooden spoon, until sauce has thickened and boils. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, 3 minutes. Stir in Cheddar, salt, and ground red pepper; cook, stirring, just until cheese has melted and sauce is smooth. Remove saucepan from heat.
3. In bowl, with wire whisk, lightly beat egg yolks; gradually whisk in 1/2 cup hot cheese sauce. Gradually whisk egg-yolk mixture into cheese sauce in saucepan, stirring rapidly to prevent curdling. Pour cheese mixture back into bowl.
4. In large bowl, with mixer at high speed, beat 6 egg whites until stiff peaks form when beaters are lifted. With rubber spatula, gently fold one-third of beaten eggs whites into cheese mixture. Fold in remaining whites just until blended.
5. Pour mixture into prepared souffle dish. If desired, to create top-hat effect (center will rise higher than edge), with back of spoon, make 1-inch-deep indentation all around top of souffle about 1 inch from edge of dish. Bake until souffle has puffed and is golden brown and knife inserted 1 inch from edge comes out clean, 55 to 60 minutes. Serve hot. Makes 6 main-dish servings.

Now, that's a top-hat like effect if I've ever seen one!! Now, I will say that my souffle did turn out just how it was suppose to. And I will say, that I didn't realize just how much it would taste like eggs. I know, laugh and laugh, call me crazy, ha ha. It tastes like the gourmet version of cheesy scrambled eggs. Now, my husband, who is an egg lover, loved it. I often have him write our opinion of recipes in my cookbooks after I make them, and for this one he wrote, "Turned out great! But only the egg lover liked it." I didn't think it was bad, just not something I was "wowed" with. But, on the other hand, if you love eggs, and cheese, then this recipe is for you!! I would be interested in trying other versions of souffles, with other additions of meat, or different cheeses. Overall, it was a good, new recipe!!

Head on over to momscrazycooking.blogspot.com to check out more amazing egg-lover recipes this week!! Just click the button above or check out her website!!

1 comment:

  1. I've never tried a souffle before, but yours is so fluffy and pretty!

    ReplyDelete