Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Quiet


THE HOUSE IS quiet NOW. Everyone is asleep. Ahhh. Any tiny, small, minute seconds of peace and quiet in my life right now...Bliss. I mean, my favorite part of the day is definitely when both kids are crying, but this, this quiet, is a close second.

Sometimes I just feel like I'm going crazy. I used to sit down and turn on the tv to unwind. And though I still do that sometimes, I find myself, more and more, loving the silence. If I get a break, or if Tad has the kids, or if I am crazy enough to be awake when both kids are napping, it is just nice to cook, or be on the computer, or make coffee, in silence.

I have never been this way. I have always been a noise person. When I was in highschool, I remember getting up early to get ready for school at around 6 in the morning, and as soon as I got out of the shower and entered my room, I would turn on my music to get ready. I could never stand the silence. Always had music on in the car. Always had the tv on when eating breakfast in the mornings. Talking on the phone in spare moments.

But with a 3 year old who never stops talking, and a baby who often gets fussy when not being doted on, or when hungry, or especially when tired, sometimes I just long for the noise to stop.

It's not that I don't still talk as much as I always have, or watch tv or listen to my beloved country music, but when I'm by myself, I find myself just soaking up...peace and quiet.
"He makes me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He restores my soul."
Psalm 23:2-3a

No comments:

Post a Comment