Thursday, May 27, 2010

Mixed Berry Shortcakes

Thank you, Weight Watchers, for a light, healthy dessert. I have to admit, I have a sweet tooth. Losing weight is so hard when every night I crave something sweet to end my crazy day, something that is satisfying but not too heavy. Well, that's what my weight tells me. And in this amazing dessert, I have found that. It was totally satisfying, but I knew I wasn't eating my days calories while consuming this. And since I went for my first 3 mile run in 3 years today, and the second 3 mile run ever, I really didn't want to ruin what I had already accomplished.
There is 1/4 cup sugar in the biscuits, and 1/4 cup sugar in the berries. Other than that, there really isn't anything else that is too bad. You just add the non-fat whipped cream, and you're good to go! And decaf coffee doesn't hurt either!!
So I will post the recipe as it appears in my Weight Watchers cookbook, so that if you are concerned about calories, you can measure accordingly. But if you aren't as concerned, you can add as many berries, as much whipped cream, and as many biscuits as you want!

Mixed Berry Shortcakes Weight Watchers From Pantry to Plate: Easy Meals from Foods You Keep on Hand

1 (16 oz) bag frozen unsweetened mixed berries, thawed (I used fresh strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries!)
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp salt
4 Tbs. cold, unsalted butter, diced
2/3 cup fat-free milk
3/4 cup fat-free nondairy whipped topping (I used Light whipped cream)

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with nonstick spray.
2. Combine the berries, lemon juice, and 1/4 cup of the sugar and set aside.
3. Combine remaining 1/4 cup sugar, flour, baking powder, ginger, and salt in a large bowl. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives (I always use a whisk, and it works just fine), cut the butter into the flour mixture until it resembles course crumbs. With a rubber spatula or spoon, stir in the milk until the mixture is just moistened. With your hands, gather the dough into a ball and knead once or twice until it just holds together.
4. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Press the dough out until it is about 1/2 inch thick. with a 2 1/2 inch biscuit cutter (I used a big cookie cutter), cut out 8 shortcakes; press the dough scraps together to cut more biscuits if you need to. Move the shortcakes to the baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Cool on a rack at least 5 minutes. (Biscuits can be cooled completely and stored in an airtight container for up to 24 hours.)
5. To serve, cut the shortcakes in half horizontally and fill each with 1/4 cup of the berries and 1 1/2 Tbs. of the whipped topping. (What??? You need more whipped topping here, people. But if you are a Weight Watchers people, I guess we will give you a break.)

Per Serving (1 filled shortcake): 241 Cal, 6 g Fat, 2 g Fiber, 5 Points Value.
Well hello, evening.

Baby woke up at 5:30 am.
Tad woke up with baby.
I "slept in" until 8:30 am.
Went for a 3 mile run.
Listened to Maddy fuss the whole way home.
Tried to take a nap.
10 minutes later, Judah wakes up.
Finally get him to sleep after 1 1/2 hours of nursing, feeding, playing.
He wakes up crying after an hour.
Clean house, take shower, make dinner.
Listen to kids fuss, cry, whine.
Get kids to bed.
Mixed Berry Shortcakes - Glorious end to a Crazy Day!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment