Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Butter Almond Crusted Fishwiches

These were so good!!! Let me tell you!! If you like fish, you will love this!! And chances are, even if you don't, you will love this!! The fish is so mild, that it doesn't taste fishy, and it is delicious!! If you are looking for a quick, easy meal that tastes awesome, and can be served for lunch or dinner, then here is a great meal to try!! Sorry, that was a lot of exclamation points. I must be really excited about this one!!
At this crazy point in my life with 2 small kids, I love meals that are not too hard, don't take much time, and don't require lots of steps with tons of ingredients!! I started making these fish sandwiches a little late, and didn't have much time before Tad's softball practice to make them. But I got them done quickly, and Tad raved about these for the rest of the day!!! He said I could make them once a week!!
There are three main components: good quality white bread (and don't skimp here. that could probably make or break the sandwich. well, maybe), the crusted fish fillets, and the amazing slaw. Pairs great with salt and vinegar potato chips!!!
And as always, let me give credit where credit is due: Rachel Ray!!! I love the Rachel Ray magazine! Each magazine is filled with so many diverse recipes, each magazine is like its own cookbook!! I always save them and go back and make new recipes!! And my good friend Jess just got me the subscription for Mother's Day!! Thanks Jess! So there will probably be more Rachel Ray recipes coming your way!

Butter-Almond-Crusted Fishwiches

2 Tbs. dijon mustard
2 Tbs. pickle relish (I used dill relish)
1 Tbs. honey
1/4 cup plus 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
1/2 head small cabbage or 1/2 pound shredded slaw mix
Salt and Pepper
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
1 cup breadcrumbs
2 Tbs. chopped fresh thyme or 1 1/2 tsp dried thyme
Flour, for coating
2 eggs, beaten
4 fillets tilapia
3 Tbs. butter
Juice of 1 lemon
8 slices good-quality white bread, or split rolls of your choice, toasted
Salt and Vinegar or black pepper potato chips

In a medium bowl, whisk the mustard, relish, and honey. Whisk in 1/4 cup oil. Add the cabbage and season with salt and pepper; toss.
Using a food processor, grind the almonds. Stir in the breadcrumbs and thyme. Place in a shallow bowl. Place the flour and beaten eggs in 2 other shallow bowls. Halve the tilapia fillets crosswise, making 8 small pieces of fish. Pat the fish dry and season with salt. Dip the fish first in the flour, then in the beaten egg, then in the breadcrumb mixture.
In a large skillet, heat the remaining 1 Tbs of oil over medium heat. Add the butter to melt. Add the coated fish and cook, turning once, until brown and crisp, 3 minutes per side. Douse the fish with the lemon juice. Stack 2 pieces of fish and a big pile of the slaw on the toast. Halve the sammies and serve with the potato chips.

If you make this recipe, let me know what you think!!! As with any other of the recipes I've posted!!
FYI: I changed my settings and now anyone can comment on blog posts. I didn't know there was a default setting that didn't allow that before. Your welcome, Briana!!


No comments:

Post a Comment