Monday, June 13, 2011

Indian Pizza

You have to try this pizza!! Oh my gosh!! This is one of my favorite recipes I have cooked of all time!! It will definitely become a staple meal around here! We love Indian food, and we were spoiled to live by an amazing Indian restaurant in Chicago. Since moving here, I don't think I've had any Indian food! I could not even believe how easy this was to make, and how tasty it was!! I found the recipe in my Rachael Ray magazine, in the healthy issue, in the budget section, coming up at only $1.92 per person for a family of four!! That's amazing!! Make sure you like zucchini, onions, and the taste of curry before you try this! It is a little spicy as well!

Indian Pizza
Rachael Ray Magazine

1 pound store-bought whole wheat pizza dough, at room temperature (I couldn't find this here, so I just bought the original pizza crust in a can, at 11 or 13 oz. It fit my baking sheet just fine!)
1/4 bunch cilantro, chopped (I picked this from my garden!!)
1 large jalapeno chile, seeds discarded, chopped
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
Salt
4 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
1 1/2 tsp. curry powder
1/2 pound ground dark-meat turkey (I just used regular ground turkey, as this was all I could find) (You can't really find only 1/2 pound ground turkey, so if you really like Indian flavors, just double all the ingredients and you can make one pizza to freeze, and you won't have 1/2 pound ground turkey leftover!)
1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut crosswise 1/4 inch thick
1/4 large red onion, sliced (I used a yellow onion, since that what I had on hand to use up!)

1. Invert a 13 by 18 inch baking sheet onto the bottom of the oven. Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. (Not sure about this step, see note below.) Oil a second baking sheet and stretch the pizza dough to fit the pan.
2. In a mini food processor, pulse the cilantro, jalapeno, and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil (I used about 1/4 cup just for this part) until a paste forms; season with salt. Spread the paste on the dough, then sprinkle with the cheese.
3. In a medium skillet, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the curry powder and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. (This will smell amazing!) Add the turkey, season with salt and cook, breaking up the meat, until just barely cooked, about 2 minutes. Stir in the zucchini and onion (I actually kinda cooked them a little). Top the pizza with the meat mixture. Place the baking sheet on the preheated baking sheet in the oven and bake until the crust is golden, about 20 minutes.

Note: I'm not sure what the deal is with putting the baking sheet on the bottom of the oven. My crust burned both times I made it, so next time I'm just going to follow the directions on the can for the pizza dough, and omit this step. My oven is really fast, so I burn things pretty easily, and with the temperature at 500 degrees, even at 16 minutes instead of 20, it still burned.
You will love this pizza!! If not, we will give a full refund! LOL. Happy Summer cooking with fresh flavors! And if you have cilantro, jalapeno, zucchini, or onions in your garden, then all the more reason why you have to make this! Make sure you leave a comment if you try it!!

No comments:

Post a Comment