Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Lemon Basil Chicken Pasta

One night, I had some leftover basil, and some lemons that I didn't know what to do with. One of the only proteins I had on hand was chicken, so I just looked up Lemon Basil Chicken Pasta and found this incredible recipe!! I have already made it twice in the last few weeks, and it didn't last long in our fridge. Again, like a lot of my favorite recipes, it is easy, cheap, and only uses a few fresh ingredients. Tad and I are finding that those few fresh herbs, vegetables, or spices add so much flavor, and often taste much better than those with tons of ingredients, and those that aren't so fresh. So enough talking, start cooking! If you have these ingredients on hand, then make this dish! You won't regret it!!

Lemon Basil Chicken Pasta

1 lb. boneless chicken breast
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/2 lb. shell pasta (I use whatever I have in my pantry)
lemon pepper (I never knew how wonderful this spice is!!)
1 lg. lemon
1/4 cup water
1 cup fresh basil leaves (packed, julienned)
1 1/2 cup fresh Parmesan (I only used the 1 cup used in the dish, not the extra 1/2 cup to put on top, and it tasted fine!
freshly ground pepper

Pat chicken breasts dry.
Sprinkle heavily with lemon pepper.
Brown chicken in olive oil.
Bring water for pasta to a boil and add pasta.
Squeeze the lemon of all its juice, reserve the rind.
Grate 1 tsp. of rind, reserve the rind.
Once the chicken is browned, cut into 1" pieces.
Add water, lemon juice, grated lemon peel, and lemon rinds to chicken.
Cover and simmer chicken mixture until chicken is tender.
Rinse and drain pasta.
Add julienned basil, 1 cup Parmesan, and chicken mixture (with juices) to pasta.
Serve with freshly ground pepper and extra Parmesan (if you so desire!)

Have to give credit where credit is due:
http://www.grouprecipes.com/117599/lemon-basil-chicken-pasta.html


(This picture makes my mouth water because I know how good it is!!)

1 comment:

  1. About lemon pepper ... I adore it. I can't eat avocado without it. And here is my secret, ridiculously easy recipe that everyone always asks for:

    Take asparagus and cut off the tough tips. Put it in a zip and add some olive oil, sea salt, and as much lemon pepper as you. Roll the asparagus around to coat and then leave it in the fridge for 2 hours. Then just take it out and grill the asparagus. People always love it and it's seriously basically lemon pepper.

    ReplyDelete