Sunday, June 20, 2010

Happy Father's Day, Dad!!

My dad has been such a blessing in my life. If I had to think of one word that described him in my life, it would be pillar. That sounds like a weird word to describe someone, but with all the female hormones of my mom, sister, female dog, and myself, he was the only man in the house, and we all relied on him emotionally, because he was always stable!!! I could always go to him for wisdom, advice, to fix anything that needed to be fixed, to ask for prayer, to run something past him, or to just sit and talk.
There are so many good qualities about my dad that I have really appreciated over the years. He is such a caring, compassionate man. If anything is ever going on involving someone being sick, ill, hurt, or anything else, he is quick to pray for them regularly, get other people to pray, visit them, get them the help that they need, etc. If he noticed someone who needed extra attention, love, or care, he would be the first one to give it. He is a romantic, and always treated my mom with the utmost devotion. He treated my sister and I like princesses, always getting us flowers, corsages, and making us feel special. He taught 1st grade Sunday School at church for about 10 years, ever since I was in 1st grade. Everyone knew him for his quirky jokes, kind manner, and the fun class that he taught.
In my opinion, I always had a "cool dad." He is a rock 'n roll junkie, can tell you every piece of information on every band, singer, songwriter, and song. I brag that he came in the top three to almost get the President of the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland. He has been in lots of bands over the years, playing drums and singing. He toured with a band for a year when he was in his 20's. We grew up on rock 'n roll, riding in Ford mustangs with the music turned up, going to car shows and drag races, and riding on the back of his motorcycles.
But besides being a cool dad, he has always been there for us girls. We knew that he loved and cared for us more than anyone, and that he would do anything to keep us safe, happy, and protected.
After I went away to college, I could see his faith really grow through some hard circumstances, and he came out continuing to love God and being the prayer warrior that he has always been. Our relationship grew a lot deeper when I went to Chicago for school. We talked on the phone a lot, and developed an adult relationship where we could share things and be real. It was a great transition from living at home, and I'm so glad for our special relationship. He has been there for me through some really hard times. When I'm struggling, he is one of the first if not the first person I call or text; I always know he is praying for me and all the more through trying circumstances.
When I go home to visit, we often stay up several nights just talking and talking about anything and everything, and I love that. Hearing old stories from his childhood, talking through current issues, getting his opinion about things in my life, and talking through hard stuff. I know we have a real relationship, and we can be open with each other about anything.
He has had a pretty tough life, and a lot has happened to him through the years. If you know him, you can attest to that. He lives day to day with a lot of physical pain, with little sleep, and gets around with his trusty cane. But his sense of humor, strong interest in politics, love for music, devotion to his family, and compassion for people are as strong as ever.
There is so much more that I could write, but I just want to make it known that you are such a great Dad, I love and appreciate you so much, more than you could imagine, and I want to say Happy Father's Day, from the bottom of my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment